Sunday, January 13, 2013

Newly Found Photos!

I briefly wanted to post about this find!  So, the other weekend my dad was putting in a new faucet for my grandmother.  He ended up needing a tool, so he went into the basement, to his dad's old workbench area.  After looking around for a bit, he saw a bag and decided to check what was in it.  What he found shocked him (and the rest of us)!  He ended up pulling out two old framed photos, wrapped in newspaper from the 1970s.  (She has so many things packed away, I have to admit, sometimes I think we'll find the ark of the covenant in my grandmother's house....)

They are absolutely gorgeous!  The woman's, unfortunately is cracked.  The duo pictured are one set of my dad's great-grandparents, probably taken in the 1880s.  They were poor (they were immigrants, he was a coal miner, she a housewife) but obviously paid a lot of money for these portraits.  I have not yet seen the photos in person, as I live out of state, but I'm told that the picture is on the glass, thus seemingly preventing the replacement of it.  So, if anyone out there knows who to go to, to fix a photo like this I'd greatly appreciate it!





No comments:

Post a Comment