Saturday, January 5, 2013

Part 2: Susanna Clingerman's parentage?

Okay, Part 2 :)

At this point I have been through every article of data I can think of that might state Susanna's parentage.  I decided to focus on seeing whether or not I could rule out David Buck as her father.  The truth is, I cannot.  Currently, I am awaiting the results of an MTDNA test from a direct maternal line descendant of Elizabeth Buck (definitely the daughter of David & Catherine Cashman Buck) and a direct maternal line descendant of Susanna Clingerman.

David Buck (1745 - 1816) married Catherine Cashman, and had at least 5 children together.  Thomas, Elizabeth, Susanna, Mary, and David.


This is my list of "comparables":


1. My Susanna was born 20 Feb 1798 (from tombstone).  It appears Susanna Buck was also born abt this time since from David's will she was born after Elizabeth in 1795 and before Mary in 1800.

2. Both my Susanna & Susanna Buck were born in Pennsylvania.

3. My Susanna married Philip Clingerman who was the son of Frederick Clingerman.  Frederick Clingerman and family were living in the same town as David Buck in every census record in Providence, Bedford county.

4. Susanna, daughter of David Buck, was not married in 1816 at the time of his death, mine wouldn't have been married at this point either.

5. Neither my Susanna nor Susanna Buck were married in the 1820 census either.

6. My Susanna named her first daughter, Elizabeth.  Susanna Buck's sister Elizabeth named one of her daughters Susanna, possibly they were very close?

7. The Clingerman's were not Catholic and I don't believe the Bucks were either.  This is only important b/c within a few generations my family did become Catholic, but was definitely not at this point.

8. Elizabeth Buck wrote that by 1872 her sister Susanna was already dead, my Susanna Clingerman died in 1861.

9. In the 1830 census, Philip & Susanna Clingerman were listed with just 6 people in between them and David & Elizabeth Garlick.  Two were other Garlick's, two were Felton's, (father & son), and the son was married to a sister of Philip Clingerman.

10. I have not found any other Susanna in Bedford county in 1850 who could be Susanna Buck.  Of course, it's always a possibility she was dead/moved by then.


Some final remarks, I recently found some other extremely interesting information.  Elizabeth's descendants have a tradition that she and her family were run out of town by their friends and family after they converted to Mormonism.  I decided to go through the minutes from Bedford county, page by page to see if I could find any truth in this.  What I found astonished me.

In the January 1839 sessions, I found that my ancestor, Philip Clingerman (Susanna's husband) had been arrested for inciting a riot and assault and battery for dragging a man named Albert Brown out of his bed in the middle of the night and tarring and feathering him.  The main witnesses for the victim?  That's right, Elizabeth Buck and her husband, David Garlick.  Now, they obviously knew one another, but was he Elizabeth's brother-in-law?  Still unknown.  All in all there were over 10 people arrested in this incident.

Soon after this incident, Elizabeth Buck and David Garlick would move with their family to Utah.  Susanna and Philip Clingerman stayed in Bedford county, PA.  As it turned out, the incident in 1839 would not be the last time Philip ended up in court.  In 1851 he, along with several others, were arrested for "forcible entry".  What it came down to was one of his friends was renting out a property to a woman who was a Garlick by birth (cousin of David's above).  They took her and her belongings and through them into the street.

One would think this would be the end of his time in front of a judge, but no.  Once again he (and his son Lewis) shows up in 1870, but this time for making "wine and other intoxicating drinks and selling them to minors and others and also sold on Sundays without a license and with great annoyance to the community".


So there it stands.  Lots of circumstantial "evidence" and nothing concrete to prove that Susanna definitely is or definitely is not the sister of Elizabeth Buck Garlick.  The DNA is my last lifeline.

No comments:

Post a Comment